Pages

26 November 2009

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

The last couple years I was in college in Gainesville, Florida, I hung out with the vegetarian, punk rock, showering-is-optional crowd.  I hosted potluck dinners every Sunday and I invited everyone who didn't have a family nearby to my house for Thanksgiving.  My Dad's parents lived in Gainesville too.  They both graduated from the University of Florida but they were the preppy crowd when they were in school.  He was a member of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity and she was one of those 'Delta Delta Delta can I helpya helpya helpya' gals.  I thought it would be a great idea to invite my grandparents to dinner at my place so they could meet all my friends.  They would normally go to the country club for dinner as my grandmother doesn't cook.  I even agreed to prepare a turkey even though they were the only two who would be eating meat.

My friends arrived first.  I was downing wine as if it was my life force, trying to calm my nervousness about my grandparents attending my shindig.  By the time they pulled in the driveway, I was suffciently wasted.  I think I did a good job at masking my drunkeness as I greeted my grandfather at the door.  He came offering a "tofu curry" my grandmother purchased.  Later I found out it was actually a Tofurkey being mispronounced.  I was bummed when I realized we weren't having curry.

As I uncorked another bottle I noticed my grandmother was held up in the street talking to a homeless guy.  She's the type who will talk to anyone so I didn't think much of it.  Then I saw the guy walking towards my door, carrying bags for my grandmother.  Totally perplexed, I went out to meet the odd pair.  Turns out, my grandmother thought the bum was one of my friends and she invited him in to eat with us.  Truth be told, my friends didn't look much better than my grandmother's new pal but I still don't think I'll ever forget our impromtu Thanksgiving guest.  More wine?

1 comment:

  1. That's a great story, it's too bad this world does not have more people like your grandmother--it's amazing how a random act of kindness can create a meal for someone in need and a memory for you that lasts and lasts.

    ReplyDelete